Sunday, April 14, 2013

Uterus Transplant

I know I blogged a few months back about how wonderful it would be if we could get reproductive organ transplants.

Guess what?

It was in the news last night that a woman got a uterus transplant and is now pregnant!  Hallelujah!

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/successful-uterus-transplant-recipient-now-pregnant-18948813

I think of all my friends out there that had to have their reproductive organs removed and I shout with joy!  There is a chance that some of us might be able to yet make our own families.  No I don't know how soon after she had her's removed that she had the organ transplant.  I do know that they froze her eggs.

Just thought I'd share the story with all of you if you missed it the other night.

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow!!! That is crazy, I had no idea they could do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad they can. Donor eggs make it so women can still have babies but without a uterus you'd have to get a surrogate and the cost just gets crazy.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Makes me think of my friends that had to have a hysterectomy at an early age.

      Delete
  3. What an amazing time we live in! I heard on NPR a while back that they had also used embryonic cells on a mouse's ovaries giving it the ability to create the eggs of a much younger mouse. In another 10 years, maybe even less, the landscape of infertility is really going to change. I just hope it comes fast enough for my infertile friends in the computer :)

    ReplyDelete

If you decide to be a Troll I will refuse to pay your toll and your comment will not appear.