Friday, November 2, 2012

Pork, Peas & Quinoa

Last night I decided that the pork roast was defrosted enough to make Islander Pork.  J helped out by nuking the frozen peas and making up the Quinoa.

My oven is a nightmare.  I'm not sure who designed the oven and decided to put the broiler in the bottom drawer but they should be taken out back and flogged.  Can you imagine trying to squat down and cook?  I had the oven replaced after J got back from Iraq because the old oven, though I loved it's broiler which was where it should be in the top, had a malfunction in the stove top.  I had no choice of replacement stoves since I'm renting.  Equity gave me a used stove/oven they had on hand in the shop.  Now I no longer make my stuffed mushroom caps that I loved to eat.  It's just too hard on me to use the broiler.

Islander Pork in a crockpot/slow cooker

1 3-pound boneless pork loin-end or sirloin roast, rolled and tied  (be careful I set the cotton twine on fire in the broiler)
5 to 6 whole cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 c. catsup
2 TBSP orange juice
2 TBSP honey
1 TBSP soy sauce
2 tsp lemon juice

Place roast on rack and broil 15-30 minutes or until brown.  Stud meat with cloves.  Place roast in crock pot or slow cooker.  Sprinkle with nutmeg and paprika.  Stir together catsup, orange juice, honey, soy sauce, and lemon juice.  Pour over roast.  Cover and cook on low 10-12 hours or on high 4 to 6 hours.  Remove meat from crock pot.  Juices may be thickened with 1 1/2 TBSP cornstarch or arrowroot and 2 TBSP water.  Cook on high until thickened.

J has never had my Islander Pork before and couldn't wait to get into it the aroma was filling the house!  He went back for seconds on everything.  Mind you he is a picky eater.


Sorry I didn't take a picture of the roast.  No I still haven't made up the pumpkin pie.  I'll get to it soon enough.  Not like the pumpkin will rot tomorrow if I don't do it.

No the recipe didn't come from the book below but I'd like to check out this book soon to see what it has to offer.




4 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious!! I hope your 2 week wait is not too miserable. I haven't been online much but have been thinking of you a lot. I hope this IUI did the trick (excuse the pun)! Sending you positive thoughts and hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL to the trick. I'm hoping for some good news around Veteran's day.

      Delete
  2. Sounds good! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I am goign to have to give it a try! :D

    ReplyDelete

If you decide to be a Troll I will refuse to pay your toll and your comment will not appear.