Saturday, April 21, 2012

Taking It Slow

Today I gardened in the morning.  Not an easy task lugging around a 20+ lb bad of peet moss.  First I washed the front window and squeegeed it clean.  Next I thinned out the plants that I plan on sharing with my friend S.  Finally it was time to bring the layer of soil up to almost even with the side walk.  I did water it, trust me.  J reassured me that when he purchased the peet moss it would hold the water.  I just took the photos of the garden bed I did today.  I don't know about you but to me it looks rather parched.


In the garden right now I have growing: Italian flat leaf parsley, strawberries, yarrow, dalmatian bells, snapdragons, hollyhocks, and green onion (just one that some how decided to spring up on its own over the winter from last summer's seeding.).

I plan on putting in the seedlings that I have grown which are larkspurs, marigolds, organic heirloom tomatos, peppers, green onions, beets, radishes, sunflowers, and johnny jump ups.

I have two more flower beds to get to this weekend before I'll be happy with how things look around here.  Plus the hanging baskets and potted plants.  I moved all of the lemon balm to pots as it was invading all the garden.


These are just a few of my seedlings.  I have more but they are on my patio.  The two big pots are my lemon balm.
My rosemary plant in bloom.  It has gotten huge since I bought it 3 years ago.  I have lemon thyme in the bottom left corner of the picture with more yarrow.  To the back of the photo is the rhododendron plant, rhubarb, raspberry bush, birds foot ivy, carnations, and more dalmatian bells.  I think the dalmatian bells are also known as something called Campanulas.







8 comments:

  1. Apparently it's glorious up there, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the weather here is rather nice today. I think I might have a slight sun burn on my face too.

      Delete
  2. Wow, nice! I am so envious that you have such lovely beds to plant in. I have a forested back yard, so while I can dig in some plants, the tree roots preclude me from being able to do much. Most of my herbs are in pots. Oddly my rosemary bush which was one of the first things I planted in soil is large but has never flowered - how odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we moved in only one bed was useable. J added the bricks to the other bed and cleaned out all the grass and weeds. The bed in back of the house, not shown above, was nothing but a tree stump and weeds.

      I wonder why your rosemary hasn't bloomed. I actually never knew they bloomed until mine did since I've never had one until we lived here.

      Delete
  3. It was a great day to be outside! I hope you enjoyed the sunshine while working in your garden. It looks lovely already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even got sunburned. Today I'll get around to putting the plants into the beds...probably in another hour when the soil is more warm.

      Delete
  4. WOW! Can't wait to see the garden in full bloom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either. It all depends on how much rain and sun we get this year. Last year it didn't do so well since it was so cold here.

      Delete

If you decide to be a Troll I will refuse to pay your toll and your comment will not appear.