Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Wanderlust That Is The Military Life

After reading a post by my cousin I was prompted to blog about wanderlust.  In the winter, while locked in by heavy snows I would often dream of foreign places and meeting new people.  Its still winter and though there is no snow on the ground I'm dreaming of new places and people yet again.  Perhaps its the fact that all it ever seems to do is rain here in Washington State.  The cold rain with the blowing wind tends to make me seek the comfort of a hot cup of tea, a good book, and a warm blanket.

As I wait for my husband to come home from his guard duty shift I'm now prompted to think of where we shall next move.  I have no clue yet as to where we might go but I feel it won't be much longer before we get orders that will change our lives yet again.  My husband has a lot on his plate right now.  What choices he makes of course will affect my life too. 

I'm really wanting to move.  Much as I like the thought of some of my spouse's family living about an hour away I'm rather tired of living here.  I've been here longer than J.  I've been here since September of 2008.  My three years here are almost up.  Most duty assignments are for three years and J's time here will be up shortly after mine.

Of all things I'm thinking of and should be thinking of, thoughts of his eventual retirement pop into my head.  I want to plan for that day.  But I have no clue when it will be or what our wants and needs will be when he does retire.  I've thought that Vermont, with its open gun laws, change of seasons, and close proximity to his family might be a good place to put down roots.  He seems to agree.

Though I can't wait to leave Washington State for further adventures there are still plenty of things I want to do here before I leave.  Now its all about finding the time as a couple to do those things.  Schedules are erratic so much so that meal planning has gone out the window.  For the past few weeks I've been making cold potato and pasta salads, from scratch, to serve with a quick microwavable main dish and veggies most nights.

Accepting the Army way of life really wasn't that hard for me to do.  I'm okay with not knowing most days when my spouse will be home.  The only thing that really bothers me is the deployments.  Not knowing if he will make it home again is what is the scary part.  I have no clue when the next deployment will be nor do I really want to think about it right now.  Right now I just want to head to the side door and greet my spouse with a hug and kiss.  And so I'll do that right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you decide to be a Troll I will refuse to pay your toll and your comment will not appear.