Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cleaning Out The Closet

I'm a little late on my Spring Cleaning this year or perhaps a little early for the Summer cleaning however, I'm getting it done.  Today in the trials of finding something comfortable to wear I realized that most of my dresser drawers and closet space contains clothing that is almost a decade old, not the right size, or just plain ugly.  Time to clean it out. 

I like to donate clothing in all sorts of conditions, some of it is bum around stuff and some of it still looks as though it has tags on it.  It happens.  So I keep an old suitcase or two about the house that might have a broken zipper on it just for this occasion.  Its time to clean out the house of my personal stuff I don't use.

Last week Saturday the postal service had a food drive and left all of its customers plastic grocery bags to fill with food for donation.  I'm sad to say that our bag was the only one left by the mail boxes for pick up.  Really folks I'm sure you could have found something in your cabinet you could donate.  I filled our bag up to the point it was going to break.  I like building good Karma.  There is always someone out there more needy than us.  I've been on food stamps, I've been without a place to live, I have it good now and I intend to give back when I can.  My husband has been lucky enough to never have had to experience what I have in life but still he does remember to help out and give too.

So today, inbetween loads of laundry, I'm going through my wardrobe and selecting stuff for donation.  Some of it I've never given away because of fond memories ie: the prom dress, the cocktail dress I wore for my first ball, my old mini skirts from college.  The last items were something I thought I'd always get back into or they'd come back into style.  Let's face it, the last time I was skinny was when I met my J and that was 8 years ago.  Time to say good bye to the old clothes. 

Giving back always makes me feel so good.  It does make room for the new stuff too, but I don't buy all the much thinking I'll get pregnant and need a maternity wardrobe, or thinking that I'll possibly lose 50 pounds over night.  Face the fact time, neither might happen.  Live for the present and downsize the clothing collection.

I urge all of you out there to go through your stuff and make a reality check.  If it doesn't fit you, you haven't worn it in years,  or its ugly as sin and you don't know what made you want to buy it, then donate it.

Off to go pack up a bag for donation.  Have a great day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you decide to be a Troll I will refuse to pay your toll and your comment will not appear.