Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Baking Day Again

Its that time of the week again where I bake cookies for the soldiers.  Today I'm going to make the Reese's Chewy Chocolate cookies made with the peanut butter chips.  The soldiers at the COF love these cookies.

Today I also plan on making J a pizza from scratch.  Last week I made up the dough for two pizzas and froze one ball along with the sauce I made.  So right now its sitting there waiting for his phone call stating that he is ready for dinner.  He really loves his pepperoni, red pepper and onion topping pizza and I can't wait to make it for him. 

Tomorrow I should have plenty of time to make the lasagna I've been promising to make for him.  I found a perfect recipe in one of my cook books and I can't wait to try it out on him. 

After a rotten day like yesterday I'm really looking forward to a few days of major baking and cooking.  Yesterday I realized that I need to let this respite care worker go.  I can't continue to employe this person when I don't get the work done that needs to be done.   My respite care worker has been sewing for years and some claim that her stuff is quite good, I now have to disagree.  Anyone can operate an embroidery machine but it takes true talent to embroider by hand.

I only needed the dress fitted to me yesterday.  As  I put it on and she pulls it in place to make sure its where I want it and never pinned the dressed only eyed it with her thumbs for judgement.  Wow did that go wrong.  Basically she butchered my dress.  She cut off the fabric and sewed it up without having me try it on in-between the sewing and cutting.  I got to try it on after the damage, then she would try to fix it again, four fittings later I gave up.  She had cut way too much out the first time and ruined the dress.  If only she would have listened to me and pinned it the first time around then basted, but what do I know?!.  I know full well she shouldn't have thumbed it but should have pinned it and basted it before the final cutting and sewing.  I've been sewing since I was 4 years old.  My mom has quite a bit of pride in my fine stitching as do I.  She claims that my sewing is even better than her's.  Makes my head swell a bit.

So when the dress was finished the respite care worker had cut the right arm hole one inch smaller than the left and there was nothing remaining to let out.  The left arm is bunched at the top now.  She actually told me to take an iron to it.  Um, NO!  An iron would melt the polyester organza material.  The front of the dress where the jewels are set into the empire waist are now pulled to the right.  I screamed after she left.  My cousin, L, was very understanding when I was chatting with her on the phone.  She said that I should have the person pay for the damages done to the gown.  Its very ill-fitting now. 

I think the hard part of this whole experience is that I thought I could trust this person to do her job that she gets paid $20 an hour to do.  But now I know better.  She was on the phone while sewing and I think that is part of the problem.  Seriously if you are getting paid to do a job and it means using your hands and full concentration why should you be on the cell phone?

My husband has a leather jacket at her house right now that he said he wants to get it back before she ruins it.  She has had it since Easter and said she would fix the zipper in it for him.  We will find another person that can work with leather.  We have a nice shop in town that fixes just that sort of stuff.  Funny I could get the jacket zipped up just fine without the zipper going off track.  If need be I'll pick it apart reset the zipper and sew it back up with my leather needles.

I thought a respite care worker was supposed to take care of me and not demand that I make her tea.  According to the rules I'm not supposed to be waiting on her, she is supposed to be doing the tasks set forth for her.  I give up.  This respite care program here has been a big failure.

Today is going to be a much needed baking day.  I can throw myself into my work and be quite happy with the results.  No one is around to bother me while I'm baking either.  I have the house to myself for the next few hours and I plan on getting stuff done.


Here is the recipe for the cookies:

Chewy Chocolate Cookies

Skill Level:
Beginner
Prep Time:
20 Minutes

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/4 cups (2-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1-2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) REESE'S Peanut Butter Chips

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 350°F. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with mixer until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture, beating well. Stir in peanut butter chips. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
  3. Bake 8 to 9 minutes. (Do not overbake; cookies will be soft. They will puff while baking and flatten while cooling.) Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 4-1/2 dozen cookies.

    PAN RECIPE: Spread batter in greased 15-1/2x10-1/2x1-inch jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350°F 20 minutes or until set. Cool completely in pan on wire rack; cut into bars. About 4 dozen bars.

    ICE CREAM SANDWICHES: Prepare CHEWY CHOCOLATE COOKIES as directed; cool. Press small scoop of vanilla ice cream between flat sides of cookies. Wrap and freeze.

    HIGH ALTITUDE DIRECTIONS:
    -- Increase flour to 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons.
    -- Decrease baking soda to 3/4 teaspoon.
    -- Decrease sugar to 1-2/3 cups.
    -- Add 2 teaspoons water with flour mixture.
    -- Bake at 350°F, 7 to 8 minutes. Yield increases to about 6 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you decide to be a Troll I will refuse to pay your toll and your comment will not appear.