Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Goody Goody Gum Drop Cookies

Today I'm baking Gum Drop Cookies for the soldiers at the COF.  I really hope they like them.  So far the batter is mighty tasty so I have hope that the cookies will be equally tasty.

Last week when Animal Control was here he was telling me how his Ma would make 30 dozen cookies a day.  Wow, 30 dozen cookies daily.  Rather daunting.  But I guess she had her own bakery or boarding house or just was really bored and baked for everyone in the neighborhood.  The guy told me his favorite cookies were his Ma's gum drop cookies.  He said they were made using a basic chocolate chip cookie dough batter but substituting gum drops for the chocolate chips. 

I did a bit of research on line and found two gum drop cookie recipes that were quite close to that particular description, then I made my own recipe.  The above photo is the batter just before refrigeration.  With any luck the soldiers at the COF will enjoy them as much as the chocolate peanut butter chip cookies that they so adore.  Maybe next week I'll make those for them again.

Here is my recipe for the Gum Drop Cookies:

1 cup butter softened
2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2 whole large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla ( I make my own vanilla using several whole vanilla beans and about 500 ml of vodka which then has to cure for at least two weeks before using)
1 tsp Celtic Sea Salt (Salina Naturally brand)
3 1/2 cups All Purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups chopped fruit slices (aka gum drops)

Cream the butter together with the brown sugar.  Add in the vanilla and the eggs.  Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.  Slowly add the flour mixture to the creamed ingredients.  Note: this is much easier using a stand mixer than a hand mixer.  Finally add in the chopped gum drops on a low speed or by hand.

Chill for one hour in the refrigerator.

Pre heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Drop by rounded teaspoon onto a  well greased cookie sheet.  Bake 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Makes 5 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you decide to be a Troll I will refuse to pay your toll and your comment will not appear.