Sunday, August 14, 2011

Charity Blanket

Last week I finally finished up the blanket I'd been working on for over a year.  I'm going to find a charity now to donate it to. 

I was thinking of a charity here at my military installation since I did use my husband's money to make the blanket and he is a soldier.

I started this blanket in April of 2010 when J was still in  Iraq.  Each square is hand woven by me.  Each square has a hand crocheted edge too.  Oh and there are 144 squares which makes this blanket a queen size. 

The blanket drapes over my queen size bed so that it will easily tuck in or could be used as just a bed cover if desired. 

Now I'm just hoping that there is a charity that will want the blanket.  I'm not sure about the market these days and if they could possibly raffle it off to make more money for their charity or if I should just find a buyer and donate the money to the charity of my choice.

The reason it took me over a year to make is that I have carpal tunnel and tendonitis in both of my hands.  Okay that and the fact that with J's homecoming I took a break from creating for a few months, more like 6 months but who's counting?

If anyone has any ideas on how I should go about donating this blanket or selling it and donating the full purchase price let me know.  Easily I've spent $75 in yarn alone not including my own time which, when I had my own business I used to charge for my labor when creating an item as my time is not free.  Hopefully I can get about $100-200 for a sale price to donate or maybe they can raise that much from this blanket.

These are the two charities I had in mind:
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://fortlewisfisherhouse.org/

Which one do you think would be the best for this item?  I'd like to be able to donate to my own installation.




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you decide to be a Troll I will refuse to pay your toll and your comment will not appear.