Sunday, November 14, 2010

Manners

My dreaded weekly trip to the grocery store went as per usual.  I detest shopping.  Its not so much the price of the items but rather the interactions with the humans that think shopping is a contact sport.

What ever happened to having manners?  There is just no excuse for their rudeness.  Thursday, when I was at the aquarium, I got tread on by children and adults.  One child plowed right into me and knocked me into my spouse.  I looked down at her and said, "have you ever heard of excuse me?".  Her mom looked at me and said she was sorry.  She even tried to make her daughter say she was sorry too.  The child refused.  Her mother said she is awfully shy.  I somehow doubt the child is shy.  A shy child would not plow her way to the front of a display.  I would know, I was a shy child.  I'm disabled.  Do they not see my cane in hand?

At the commissary I was nearly run over by a female employee.  I was trying to get a better look at the anti-wrinkle creams, I have dark circles under my eyes big time, when the employee walks tight to the shelf in front of me.  I say, "excuse me".   I know she has to understand enough English to have her job.  She was just being rude.  When I was in the aisle with the vitamins an older man runs his cart into my side.  I guess he wants me out of his way.  My cart is no where near 1/4 full and my cane is quite visible  in the cart.  I say to  him, "excuse me", no less than three times.  Maybe he was deaf.

Is it possible that our society has become deaf to polite interjections?

Are we all out to get what we want at any cost?

Am I the only one left that says, "excuse me", "pardon me", "thank you", "your welcome", and "have a nice day"?

Are we as a society just too wrapped up in our own world with the blue tooth, i-tunes, and cell phones in hand to pay attention to those around us?

Unplug yourself from the electronics while shopping and see what I see and hear.  I bet you'll be surprised.

Spend one day just observing the shoppers in their natural habitat.  Maybe it will make you a better person.

I don't exercise my privileged to go to the head of the line at the commissary.  I know that most of you have been waiting just as long as I have and want to get out of there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you decide to be a Troll I will refuse to pay your toll and your comment will not appear.